JACC Housing Committee Meeting
Tues. April 2nd, 2013, 6:30-8:00pm
APRIL 2013 Meeting Minutes
Joel Baird, Board member
Kris Brogan (guest- Alliance Housing Inc.)
Robert Hughes, Block Club leader
Troy Kester (guest- Alliance Housing Inc.)
Sandy’Ci Moua, staff
Polly Peterson, Board member and Housing Committee Chair
Dean Rose (guest- West Broadway Liquor)
Cathy Spann, staff
Marlee Van Dusea
Jason Vork, Board member
I. 6:30-6:40pm: Call to order
- Approved: March 2013 Housing Committee meeting minutes
- Approved: agenda
II. 6:40-6:50pm: Dean Rose
Building development update and presentation
- Presented updates plans in regards to residents not wanting to vacate Queen Ave N.
- St Anne’s church would like the design to accommodate the view of their steeple
- New: V-shaped design of building: allows up to 134 units and 1 dozen 2 bedrm buildings.
- Redesigned to allow more stores along Broadway Ave N- Retail space is is 18,000 sq. feet.
- Designed changed to vacate alley way which helps church in terms of parking- is acquiring some church land to make this design happen
- See handout— 69 retail spaces
- Transit-friendly design (working with Hennepin Cty regarding this)
- Planning to purchase 2 lots from the city
- Church wants to double their parking lot (they already own the land) (instead of vacating Queen Ave N)
- Shared parking arrangement with the church
MOTION: Letter of support for Dean Rose’s Broadway Flats project: acquiring of city-own parcels and site plan and concept design. Voted and approved.
III. 6:50-7:00pm: Sub-committee update
Design standards discussion
- Design guide: finished and printed with feedback from last meeting. This guide is a recommendation to contractors and renovators (refer to printed guide).
- Feedback: make page 1 “basic goals” wording more general and inclusive.
- Document is still in draft form and will need to be Board-approved.
- Joel will be sending it out again to committee members for feedback. It will then be brought it to Housing next month and converted from draft form to final and sent to the Board for approval.
IV. 7:00-7:20pm: Properties to discuss
1. 3001 Upton Ave. N.
- Abandoned home. Elderly woman. Owner is listed as Jane Weiss. Taxes paid- no liens. Cathy will reach out to them (neighbors?).
2. 2635 Oliver Ave. N
- City is no longer acquiring this. HPC (Historical preservation org.) looking at this.
3. 2101 26th Ave. N (cross street is Oliver Ave N)
- City is considering acquiring it.
4. 27th and Penn Ave. N. RFP development (see handout) with Alliance (Troy and Kris)
- Troy: would like to come back to Housing Committee—with more updates
- Tues. June 4th: CD? Cmte: ask for building rights (check with Troy)
- June 11th or 14th?: City Council meeting
- Jeff: suggests that we invite other company submitting an RFP as well
- Consensus: Alliance AND other developer will be invited to come to HC mtg. May 7th
V. 7:20-7:40pm: Chair updates
1. Board updates (CPED Waiver, etc.)
- Board approved waiver recommendation: Cathy and Jason will meet Elfric and discuss the waiver. Will update at next meeting.
- Polly is stepping away from Chair position.
- Would like to open the floor for nominations
- Jason Vork nominates Joel and vice versa: both co-Chairs
MOTION: Joel Baird and Jason Vork to be Housing Committee co-chairs (starting after the April 2nd 2013 Housing Committee meeting). Voted and approved.
VI. 7:40-8:00pm: Other business/Community input
- (Joel): South Mpls housing fair
- (Polly) USA Neighborhoods conference opportunity—Memorial day weekend
VII. 8:00pm: Adjourned: 8:23pm
SUMMARY OF MOTIONS:
1. MOTION: Letter of support for Dean Rose’s Broadway Flats project: acquiring of city-own parcels and site plan and concept design. Voted and approved.
2. MOTION: Joel Baird and Jason Vork to be Housing Committee co-chairs (starting after the April 2nd 2013 Housing Committee meeting). Voted and approved.